Monday, October 1, 2012

Penny's First Shopping Excursion

Penny went to Petsmart with me this evening. I'm telling you, nothing bothers this little girl:

Riding in the truck - she loves to travel
Pottying in a strange place with lots of dog smells - no worries
Automatic doors - piece of cake
Slick floors - no problem
Sights and sounds of a store - just lots of fun
Meeting  new people - Penny is a social butterfly
Sitting at the register for treats from the cashier -such a smart girl!

Penny is pretty unflappable. She wants to see and do everything. She adores meeting new people.

It's amazing how a 14 lb puppy could practically drag me over to meet every person-- young, old and in between who was in the store. She LOVES people.

We're working on her puppy biting. She's getting better, but those puppy teeth are like needles. A well meaning clerk told me to squeal when she bites too hard. I told the clerk that in a highly excitable dog like Penny, that just gets her going more. I've been working on a firm NO and if that doesn't work, I move away from her. She's getting better, but we still have a ways to go.

There were other dogs in the store too. She tried to convince me that those other dogs would LOVE to play with her--but on that one, I held firm. I just don't want her to have any bad dog experiences while we are working on her socialization.

While we were checking out, the cashier wanted to give her a treat. I told the cashier Penny had to sit for the treat. I think the cashier thought I was kidding, but Penny sat. I thought the lady was going to fall down. She couldn't believe that such a little squirt was so smart.

Penny will be such a great dog for an active family who will respect Penny's strong will but not let her walk all over them. Penny reminds me of Stewie from the cartoon Family Guy. Smart little thing who wants to take over the world :)

No comments: